Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Let's Hear it for the Boys!

Not only is this a bonus post, but it's also one just for the fellas. In my experience, the modern man is slippin' when it comes to dating. Most of my girlfriends and I bemoan the fact that the men these days just refuse to try to work to impress a woman. There are a million theories of why that is, but the overall verdict is that men just don't have the chivalry or the suaveness or the smoothness that men used to have. (Or so we've heard, none of us are old enough to have actually witnessed it.)

The way I see it, there's no reason why the Mission can't include a component to seek romance. For the ladies, we need to agree not to accept the bogus behavior of men anymore. For the men, methinks you should step up your game. Henceforth, this is what a man with a chance should remember:

When it comes to a date, men should remember that there are different grades of dates. Millionaire Matchmaker Patti Stanger said it best:
Coffee = Cheap
Drinks = an audition
Lunch = an interview
Dinner = Romance

You should review that. Go ahead, I'll wait. Now, there are reasons why you might want a certain kind of date over another. For example, if you're both busy professionals, meeting for lunch early on might be the best use of time and a great way to get together. Coffee or drinks is always encouraged for blind dates, internet dates, or dates that you don't really want to go on. But, remember, that's the vibe that the date will have...at least at the beginning. Now, dinner is what a girl needs to be romanced. I don't mind admitting that I quasi-dated a guy for the longest who almost never took me out to dinner. All that said to me is that he wasn't really interested in getting into a serious relationship with me. So, neither of us were taking it seriously. What does that mean? That we were having fun, but weren't really building towards something long term. (But hey, it was fun, right?).

I am a firm believer that chivalry, if not dead, is on life support. I would love if it came back to life. I am always impressed when a man does something that is reminiscent of the southern gentleman. Something that is very southern is walking on the outside -- towards the street -- when you two are walking together. It's something that is usually reserved for those with family or roots down south, but I think it's sweet. Gives off a protective vibe that is always sexy. Here's another example. I nearly passed out from shock when I went out to dinner with a guy and he pulled out my chair. And don't even get me started on the guy that went out in the cold winter wind to warm up the car and then came to pick me up at the door. That guy? I would totally do, on the spot. (Incidentally, "warm the car guy" and "pull out the chair guy" is one and the same. I bet he gets laid ALLLLL the time).

Now, let's talk romance. We've passed the initial stages of dating. You've managed to get the girl to fall for you. But, what are you doing to keep the girl? I ask the age old question -- why don't men buy flowers anymore? And why haven't most guys figured out that it doesn't have to be the $100 bouquet of roses as seen on 1800flowers.com. Seriously, hit up the grocery or the local florist and buy something pretty. Or, if she likes to read, why not pick up a book that you know she would like? Or, go get her favorite treat/snack/beverage at Starbucks. It's not about the money. It's about you passing by something that reminded you of her, and as a result you bought it. You're just showing that you thought about her that day. Or, maybe you are showing that you thought enough to go out of your way to get something for her. The keyword, my friends, is effort.

So, what have we learned today? That romance is key, and that as women, we aren't accepting anything less!

No comments:

Post a Comment