It's February 7, and we have officially reached the point in the year when New Year's Resolutions have fallen by the wayside. As I think you may know by now, The Mission began long before people were faking the words to Auld Lang Syne. But, that doesn't mean that I haven't had times where I wanted to jump off the wagon -- with a running start. So, what do you do to make sure you stay on track?
For some, treats and rewards are the way to go. Back when I was in law school (yes, I've been fighting the same battle with the gym for a long LONG time), my treat was cable television. I didn't have cable in my apartment until my last year. There are oodles of quality shows available on cable television and I wanted to watch them. So, I made it my business to go to the gym when those shows were on. Given that I had no cable, this was an excellent reason to convince myself to go. I've heard others mention books that they save for reading when they're on the bike or elliptical.
Another form of carrot (or stick, depending on your perspective) are certain goals. This may include a big event (ahem, birthday celebration in Vegas), a time of year (swimsuit season), or even things more tangible, such as a goal outfit or a picture/celebrity you'd like to emulate. These are all great options that have more of a deadline, and can create pressure to succeed. If you work better under pressure, this may be the method for you.
Now, some of y'all are hardheaded. That's ok. There are solutions for you, too. Consider meshing some of your goals together. So, if you go to the gym, you don't have to clean that day. If you don't go, get out your scrub brush (or in my case, dishtowels. Hate dishes! Hate them!!). This method is the lesser of two evils method. Which would you rather be doing, 3 sets of 10 reps of lunges, OR, doing your taxes? Would you rather run a 5k at a 5.5, OR, spend your time mopping the floor? Often, you will need to do both unpleasant tasks eventually, BUT, this method can help with the timing.
One thing I don't recommend, is using food as your carrot (pardon the pun). Don't treat yourself to a cupcake or a Big Mac, or whatever your particular vice is. What you don't want to do is undo all your good work at the gym by eating junk.
This method, of course, applies to more than just working out. If you are after improving your finances, find something that helps you set your goals. (By the way, if improving finances are your goal, don't use shopping as your reward. Again, don't use a carrot that will undo your good work).
Above all, remember the Rules for Success I mentioned before:
1. Take one more step.
2. If you feel like you can't go any further, see rule #1.
Y'all, from one Mission wagon rider to another, keep on keepin' on!
No comments:
Post a Comment