The Rules for Success were found in, and paraphrased from, the Daily Devotional provided by my church, New Life Covenant. When I read it, it was so appropriate for the Mission that I have now adopted it as an axiom of the Mission:
The Rules for success:
(1) Take one more step.
(2) When you can't go any further, see rule number one (1).
Here's the point. In all things, you should be striving to do better than your best. The point isn't to put unreasonable pressure on yourself, but to avoid underestimating yourself. A prime example for me is running. I HATE running. The list of things that I would rather do instead of run is long and varied. As a result, when I workout, it is a struggle to talk myself into getting on the treadmill in the first place. Then, I have to convince myself that I can actually run faster and longer than I thought. Yes, I am slow as compared to a lot of people (including Biggest Loser contestants), and yes, I am running a much shorter distance than many of my friends. But notice that the steps to success do not involve comparing yourself to others. The point is to take one more step. Run a few minutes longer, raise the speed a bit. Work harder, run faster, and just when you think you're exhausted, dig deep and push it.
Incidentally, the last time I actually applied the Rules for Success, I ran farther than I ever had before (3.1 miles for the record -- aka a 5k). Hooray for a personal record!
When was the last time you pushed yourself? Did you regret it?
No comments:
Post a Comment