Looking back on my Facebook posts, my first declaration in my New Level of Awesome was to reduce my alcohol intake. As I get older, and more involved in various organizations, I find that alcohol is provided at most events that I attend. Networking events, charity events, dating, going out with friends, and my love of football -- all (generally) include some form of cocktail. Getting together for cocktails has become a standard go-to for dates and hanging with the girls. As a result, I found myself drinking often -- not usually a large quantity -- but often. This does not work so well with a desire to rise from a level of hot to smokin'. Nor is it part of a healthy living lifestyle.
As part of the Mission, you gotta be real with yourself. And really? Cocktails are hiding all sorts of calories. And, when they aren't free (I'm looking at you football Sundays!), they're bad for the pocketbook. So what's the solution? One and done. Reducing the number of days which include a beverage of the alcoholic variety. So, no more cocktails with dinner at home. (Yes, that includes the delicious rum creme from St. Thomas). No more gratuitous cocktail ordering with dinner. (Unless you're on a really REALLY bad date -- lol!). And no more taking a glass of wine just because it's free at a networking event. I don't even like wine for goodness' sake!
Ok, real talk. How did that initial declaration work out? It's hard! As winter comes, the number of days a week has been reduced, but it doesn't count as success if I'm not drinking just because I'm not out. I have been successful with stopping the cocktails at home. And reducing my bill at dinner has been a HUGE incentive for reducing cocktails. But football Sundays? You gotta drink for that! And going out weekend nights? Yup, totally in for that!
I'll give myself a B-, to be bumped up if the trend of not drinking as often during the week sticks AFTER the weather breaks. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment