Recently the topic of diet menus came up on facebook. More than once, I've asked around to see what people are doing to lose weight, eat healthy, etc. Because I like to think that I'm not the only person to ask this question a thousand times over, I thought maybe it'd be nice to try to put everything I've heard from my kick-ass friends in one spot. Unless otherwise noted, let the record show that none of these are officially endorsed by pheebee. I can't make any claims to whether they work or don't work. But where possible, I tried to back them up with links. If you've got more to share, please do!
1. Weight Watchers. Officially endorsed by pheebee. I heart WW. My first year of law school was the first time I'd ever lived on my own, in an apartment. (As opposed to in a dorm.) There was no one to cook my food or provide healthy options along side the preferred fat-filled and sugary options. So, instead of using my culinary skillz, I let my fingers do the walking. I discovered the simple pleasures of ordering food over the phone and having it delivered to my doorstep. Living in a university town, it was unbelievable (to me) what I could get delivered. My all-time favorite were chicken strips and fries. As a result, I gained all kinds of weight that was unattractive. When I hit my (admittedly low) fed-up point, I turned to WW. And let me just say, it worked. It didn’t necessarily work at lightening speed, but it worked. I loved that I could literally eat whatever the heck I wanted, but I had to deal with the consequences. This works well for me. When I start depriving myself of food, I just end up craving it more. This way, I could plan ahead for something delicious and unhealthy, by saving up points for when I was going to have it. Thereby not sabotaging my whole day, but not depriving myself either. Anyway, it worked and the weight I gained fell off. For the record, it stayed off for 6 years (and I didn’t gain most of that back until the 6th year).
I don’t know why they’re using Jennifer Hudson as their new endorser. As much as I sing their praises they should be paying me – and I’m cheaper!!!
2. The Eat-Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. Suggested by my friend Lala. She’s told me that it’s not that hard, and you feel great. If memory serves, Lala found the diet shortly after having a baby, and right before discovering the joys of running. Lala is now the sexiest mommy I know, and has a body most women would kill for. (Trust me, I’ve seen her pull on a pair of skinny jeans, layer it with t-shirts and sweaters, and tuck the pant leg into tall boots. The girl is B-A-D with a capital B). More information can be found here: www.eatcleandiet.com. My understanding is that it is about cutting out the bad foods, and inserting the foods your body needs to run properly.
3. Eating right, generally. There is an amazing woman that studied at the same university as I did who is currently living life in the yellow. She is amazing not only because she’s on her way to holding her PhD in History (but sadly, she refuses to get her degree in pimpology*), but also because to date she’s lost 80 lbs. As though that isn’t awesome enough, she’s being profiled in a book later this year. A book!!! Despite my raging jealous at her soon-to-be national notoriety, (insert green eyes here), I’m linking her blog below. Frankly, her blog is probably more informative and less snarky than mine, but she’s also smarter than me. So there’s that. Please click through – and support her efforts! Girl’s got her own photo shoot coming up! http://theyellowspace.blogspot.com.
What I have noticed in my quest for dietary advice, is that those who have found something that worked, have adamantly stated that it’s a total lifestyle change, not a diet. Remember all those fad diets you’ve tried (don’t even get me started on that crackheaded lemon/hot pepper/water cleanse nonsense) and you’ll notice that they're just temporary. The point of the Mission is that it is a permanent state of higher awesome. There’s no backsliding on the Mission, so don’t set yourself up for failure. Because really? Backsliding just isn’t sexy.
*Double bonus points for any reader that caught that reference.
No comments:
Post a Comment